Hands down my all time, favorite vegetable is the sweet potato. They are delicious great alternatives to the very starchy, rather bland regular potato. Since it is fall, and I was feeling adventurous, I thought I would try a Mediterranean themed sweet potato dish. So I present you with, Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes.
Having them be baked rather than fried limits the amount of oil used, as well as the amount of fat consumed. This recipe is super easy and only takes 30 minutes to cook! This is a great vegetarian entrée to have for dinner this fall. So let’s get our aprons on and start cooking!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon each cumin, coriander, cinnamon, smoked (or regular) paprika
- Optional: Pinch of sea salt or lemon juice
Garlic Herb Sauce:
- ¼ cup hummus
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Water or unsweetened almond milk to thin
- Optional: Sea salt to taste
Toppings (Optional but highly suggested):
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Chili garlic sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with tinfoil.
- Rinse potatoes and cut in half-length wise.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Toss in extra-virgin olive oil and spices and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Rub the sweet potatoes with a small amount of olive oil and place face down on the same baking sheet as chickpeas. Place this in the oven until sweet potatoes are fork tender and chickpeas are golden brown, roughly 25 minutes
- While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, it is time to prepare your sauce! Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine, adding only enough water so it is pourable.
- Taste sauce and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Prepare the parsley-tomato topping by tossing tomato and parsley with lemon juice and setting aside to marinate.
- Serve potatoes flesh-side up and top with chickpeas, sauce and parsley-tomato garnish.
- Enjoy this awesome, healthy dish!!
Recipe adapted from: Minimalist Baker