Let’s start my blog off with something really tasty: Quinoa with Caramelized Butternut Squash and Roasted Brussels Sprouts! Since Thanksgiving is just around the corner, I wanted to start with a fall dish that would fit perfectly into everyone’s Thanksgiving Day feast.
Like most I am usually not a fan of Brussels sprouts but this recipe has made me rethink my feelings for this veggie! Growing up, everyone refuses to eat them because their parents tell them too, and because frankly, when they are only boiled, Brussels sprots are not living up to their full potential.
But, this recipe elevates the Brussels sprouts and makes them absolutely delicious and will leave you wanting more! The quinoa and butternut squash (one of my favorite vegetables of ALL time) combined with the Brussels sprouts makes for an amazing dish. Now let’s get cooking!
*Serves 6 as a side*
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 9 ounces shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Garlic Salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash (cut 1/2”)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan and add rinsed quinoa. Place lid on saucepan and turn heat down to medium-low; simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Fluff quinoa with fork when finished and set aside.
- While quinoa is cooking, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with tinfoil.
- Add Brussels sprouts, oil, garlic salt, and pepper to baking sheet. Toss with fingers to evenly coat. Roast for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While your Brussels sprouts are roasting, melt butter in a large cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and butternut squash. Sauté, stirring every so often, until tender, again about 15 minutes.
- Combine quinoa, Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl. Toss and serve with extra Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Enjoy this awesome, healthy dish!!
Recipe adapted from: Iowa Girl Eats