Since we just entered the Holiday Season I thought I would give you guys one of my favorite holiday inspired vegetarian dishes: Spaghetti Squash Salad with Pine Nuts and Tarragon. I chose this because spaghetti squash is a great alternative to regular pasta and teaches people a great, new and interesting way to cook squash. This dish also reminds me of Thanksgiving because of the pine nuts and squash. This dish is a wonderful side that goes great on any Thanksgiving table. Now let’s get cooking!
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 3 large spaghetti squash (halved lengthwise and seeds scraped out)
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil (and extra for drizzling)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 1 cup queso fresco crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread pine nuts in pie plate and bake for about five minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- Arrange spaghetti squash halves cut side up, on two large rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Turn squash over with cut sides down, and pour the water and wine into the two pans.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until squash are barely tender.
- Turn squash again to have cut sides up, let cool until warm.
- In small separate bowl, combine white wine vinegar with lemon zest and lemon juice, crushed red pepper and thyme. Whisk in 2/3 cup of olive oil.
- Over a large bowl and using a fork, scrape out the spaghetti squash. Separate into strands.
- Pour dressing over squash and toss to completely coat.
- Add tarragon, queso fresco and pine nuts. Toss again.
Recipe adapted from Food & Wine