Every year on Christmas Eve, my grandmother makes the most delicious meal. It usually includes a succulent pot roast, roasted rosemary potatoes and buttery green peas. But last year she made the meal even better with a new dish: Baked Mushrooms Stuffed with Ricotta. It is my new favorite part of the meal and I’m already counting down the days until Christmas Eve so I can enjoy this delicious meal (and spend time with family of course).
I love this addition to the meal because the mushrooms add an earthy tone to the winter meal and go great with the pot roast. The cheese makes them creamy and even more desirable. The recipe is very easy and only takes 35 minutes to cook! I can’t wait to share this recipe with you all. Now let’s get cooking!
- 75 grams crumbly ricotta cheese
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 fresh red chilli (deseed and finely chop)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chooped
- 1 small handful Parmesan cheese, freshly graded
- 4 handfuls small Portobello mushrooms
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put ricotta into bowl and combine with lemon zest, chilli and salt and pepper.
- Beat mixture together with wooden spoon and fold into chopped oregano and Parmesan.
- Remove stalks from mushrooms and throw away.
- Place mushroom caps in small amount of oil, salt and pepper.
- Place on baking tray upside down, so you can fill them with ricotta mixture.
- Spoon filling into mushrooms and sprinkle Parmesan over top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden
Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver